Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The A's and B's of ABCs' New Fall Lineup

Last week I talked about FOXs ham-handed way of choosing shows for cancellation. This week it's on to brighter days. I will, over the next few weeks, be going through the newly announced shows for the fall, a few at a time.

First up is ABCs fall lineup, and what a lineup it is. With everything from southern belles to the toolman to angels and fairy tales. This is the most inconsistent line up I have seen.


Lets start with the best, from what I can tell. I love a good drama and I have high hopes for Pan-Am. Although we don't know much of what is below the surface yet, this series looks to be a possible spy or smuggling drama wrapped in the glitz and glamor of the 1960's airline business. The time when people dressed to fly and the Pan-Am stewardesses, which is who this show revolves closely around, were the queens of the sky. I only hope that this show from the writer of The West Wing and executive producer of ER holds up to it's pedigree.



Next up, a little comedy talk. Apartment 23 looks to be a ton of fun. I am excited about this one. It will be airing midseason along side Cougertown on Tuesday nights. If this slightly over the top show lives up to the quirkiness in the trailer this could be a match made in heaven. I think it's best if you just watch the trailer.



As much as I wanted to throw Suburgatory in the “bad” pile the casting is what makes this a watch and see for me. It looks like it might be a little to high school drama for me but looks to also be pretty funny at it's roots. I'm on the fence with this one...



Another on the fence is Good Christian Belles. There is only one reason this show is not in the never watch pile...Kristen Chenoweth. She is the definition of a scene stealer, I just have to root for her. Her performances in Pushing Daisies earned her an Emmy despite the shows cancellation and she has stolen every episode of Glee she has appeared on. Yet she again seems to be playing a supporting role. Can she a carry a show from there? I guess we will see come fall.



On next to The River from executive producer Steven Spielberg. This looks like it might be thriller done right for TV. Revolving around a family searching for their lost father on the Amazon river. If I had seen the trailer without knowing, I would have said this was JJ Abrams which bodes well for the series. Give the trailer a watch and let me know what you think.



The last show I want to mention that has caught my eye is Missing. It appears to a Taken vibe. ABC has not shown a full trailer since the pilot hasn't wrapped but I am still intrigued.



That covers most of the good from what I've seen come out of ABC. The bad I will cover tomorrow.

But, I think I may leave you with my thoughts on the saddest and most pitiful thing I've seen in a while. Tim Allens return to TV is nothing short of painful. Take Home Improvement, remove the boys and add girls, sprinkle in some one liners that are a little old at this point and you get, Last Man Standing. Sorry Tim, your time has passed.



No comments:

Post a Comment