Wednesday, May 25, 2011

NBCs not so impressive fall

Alright, NBCs turn. Their fall line-up is definitely not what I would call strong, but there are a few standouts. So, without further delay....

First up is one that is near and dear to me on a few levels. Grimm comes from David Greenwalt, who worked on Buffy before he helped to create Angel. That is a pretty damn good pedigree so I am willing to give this show some room to breathe. The trailer shows promise but it also shows a little bit of cheesiness. The show follows a descendent of the same Grimms that were responsible for all those stories that kept you up late as a kid. The catch is, all those stories are real and the only ones who can see the monsters for what they really are are the Grimms. This one is definitely not for everyone.

Next up is NBC's version of jumping on the Mad Men bandwagon. The Playboy Club is exactly what it sounds like. It is the story of the playboy club in Chicago and the lives of the girls who work there and the men that frequent the club. It has all the swagger needed to pull it off. But there just seems something holding me back from getting excited. I just can't put my finger on it.


Carrying on with NBC's theme of any thing you can do, we can do “better”, is Smash. Despite the blatant “we wish we would have thought of Glee first” vibe this radiates, I am high on it. The cast is full of A-list talent and the Broadway setting is much more mature than high school. And between Debra Messing, Angelica Houston and Katherine McPhee, I am getting a little excited about this one.

Now on to something funny. Up All Night should be amazing based solely on cast. With Will Arnett and Christina Applegate in the lead roles this should be a hit, and the trailer supports it every step of the way. The two seem to have instant chemistry and this show could turn out to be the big winner among some very mediocre sitcom offering from NBC this year.


This next one is a must watch for me purely based on the fact it is as original idea as I have ever seen on TV. It's kinda tough to explain this one, but it has me more excited than just about any other show coming this fall.


And finally another COLOSAL miss in the sitcom department. Don't get me wrong, I love Laura Prepon and Chelsey Handler is a funny woman at times but this series feel about ten years behind the times. Depending on a laugh track to tell the audience went out a while ago and while some shows are still truly funny and have a laugh track, this is definitely not one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment