Monday, June 20, 2011

FOXs Fall Offerings

So back to TV. This time it's my favorite (please read with heavy sarcasm) network, FOX. Yep, I really think that FOX has been short sighted in the past with shows that could have had legs if given the time to pick up an audience. But I have bitched about that in great detail before so this will not be a look back but rather a look forward to what FOX with be offering us this fall.


First up is what I consider one of the most misguided moves in TV this year. Tera Nova is show about a group of people who, in the year 2149 when the earth is dying, travel back in time to the cretaceous era. Yep, complete with dinosaurs. Take a minute and think that one through. Now, Steven Spielberg is one of the producers behind this one so FOX might give it a chance. But this really looks a lot like am attempt to cash in on Avatars success at the box office and judging by the trailer, a poor one at that.

Now on to the next attempt by FOX to put a spin on the procedural. They have successfully done it with Bones and Fringe in the past and I am keeping an open mind about The Finder. This one to me is Bones and Justified kinda smashed together. It wont be starting until mid-season and will be falling into the Bones slot so it should get a small bump to start. In fact this is a Bones spin-off. and the “pilot” was shown as one of the Bones episodes last season. I want to like this show, but I was not impressed by the one off episode that was shown. This one has me on the fence. I think that once the cast gets the opportunity to separate itself from Bones and gel as a cast that this one might show well. The only question is, will FOX give them that kind of time?

Did you love Napoleon Dynamite? If the answer is no (this is where I fall), move on this isn't for you. If the answer is yes, step right up have I got something for you. Your favorite fuzzy-headed dancing freak is back! FOX is bring an animated series based on the fill to its Sunday night Animation Domination line-up. Here's the the bonus, all the characters will be played by the actors that played them in the film.

Do you love Jonah Hill? Yep, same deal as above. Animated series created by Jonah Hill, also voiced by Jonah Hill, about a very mature little kid being forced away from home schooling and into public school. Yeah, that all I've got so here is Allen Gregory, Enjoy?

Okay, one more comedy from FOX. This one I really want to like, mostly because I have become rather fond of the quirkiness that Zooey Deschanel typically brings to a character. However, this one just seems to be rubbing me the wrong way. I hope it gets better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Alright, how about something that might not suck now? Who ,may you ask, can save us? Why JJ Abrams of course, for he knows the hearts of all TV watchers. Or at least you would think so by the speed at which any project with him attached is given a green light. I know that all sounds cynical, but this show is the one new FOX show that has the potential of being a huge hit. I ,for one, can't wait to see where Alcatraz takes us when it hits mid-season. 

An now, for moment you've all been waiting for, I Hate My Teenage Daughter. Long title for a show that I think will have a really short run. I think this misses both the demographics it is shooting for in mothers and daughters. Although the cast boasts two great comedic actresses in Jaime Pressly (My Name is Earl) and Kate Finneran (Wonderfalls) it just seems to be trying to hard. But I am also the guy that said the same thing about Two and a Half Men. I just don't see this being able to capture any real numbers, it is too busy trying to get maximum viewership to be all that funny. But what do I know?

Of course we all know that FOX cares very little about most of these shows success. They are going all in on very big variable. The X Factor will be the show that FOX anchors it's line up around this fall. If the show can get fraction of the viewers that American Idol gets it will be a huge win for FOX. Especially since it can drag it out over two full primetime hours just like Idol. As long as FOX has a show that can do that they can afford to ax shows after only a few episodes. The thing is they aren't really reaching this year. In the past they have stuck their neck out on shows like Glee and Lie to Me. Some didn't pan out while others a have become network staples. Why not take some more risks. With the huge popularity of your reality shows, what's the risk? I guess I am just not really impressed with what FOX has to offer after choosing to cancel shows like Lie to Me and The Chicago Code. What do you think? Let me know in the comments below, or on twitter @Jlove89.




No comments:

Post a Comment